Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://dspace.sctimst.ac.in/jspui/handle/123456789/471
Title: Epilepsia partialis continua - a clinical and electroencephalography study
Authors: Pandian, JD
Thomas, SV
Santoshkumar, B
Radhakrishnan, K
Sarma, PS
Joseph, S
Kesavadas, C
Keywords: Neurology
Issue Date: 2002
Publisher: SEIZURE-EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF EPILEPSY
Citation: SEIZURE-EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF EPILEPSY. 11; 7; 437-441
Abstract: Epilepsia partialis continua (EPC) is a rare type of localization-related motor epilepsy. Clinical spectrum, electroencephalography (EEG) characteristics and various prognostic factors in EPC were studied in 20 patients. Patients who fulfilled the criteria for EPC between the years 1985 and 1999 were included in this retrospective and prospective study. The mean age was 18 years (range 5 months-70 years). Eleven patients (55%) had Type 1 EPC and in the remaining nine (45%) patients there were features of Type 2 EPC. Among children Rasmussen's encephalitis and viral encephalitis were the commonest cause for EPC. Encephalitis and vascular aetiology were frequently observed in adults. Tuberculous meningitis and tuberculomas occurred evenly in both the groups. The cause was unknown in two cases. Focal EEG abnormalities commonly consisted of discrete spikes, sharp waves (or) slow wave activity and periodic lateralized epileptiform discharges. The mean duration of follow up was 9.6 months with a range between I month and 4 years. Cognitive decline, motor deficits and pharmacoresistance to drugs were significantly seen among children with Type 2 EPC. Patients with Type I EPC had mild impairment of functional status with good response to treatment. The long-term prognosis depends upon the underlying cause. (C) 2002 Published by Elsevier Science Ltd on behalf of BEA Trading Ltd.
URI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/seiz.2001.0646
http://dspace.sctimst.ac.in/jspui/handle/123456789/471
Appears in Collections:Journal Articles

Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.