Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://dspace.sctimst.ac.in/jspui/handle/123456789/9271
Title: An audit of the predictors of outcome in status epilepticus from a resource-poor country: a comparison with developed countries
Authors: Hassan, H
Rajiv, KR
Menon, R
Menon, D
Nair, M
Radhakrishnan, A
Keywords: Neurosciences & Neurology
Issue Date: 2016
Publisher: EPILEPTIC DISORDERS
Citation: 18 ,2;163-172
Abstract: Aim. Status epilepticus is a neurological emergency with significant morbidity and mortality. This study describes the clinical profile, treatment, and predictors of outcome of status epilepticus in a tertiary referral centre in a developing country and aims to highlight the similarities and differences from data available from the western world. Methods. A retrospective analysis of data of patients treated for status epilepticus was conducted from prospectively maintained records, between January 2000 and September 2010. The demographic data, clinical profile and investigations (including neuroimaging and EEG), aetiology, treatment, and outcomes were studied and compared with data available from the western world. Results. The analysis included 108 events in 84 patients. A single episode of status epilepticus was treated in 72 patients (86%) and multiple status epilepticus events, ranging from two to six per patient, were managed in 12 patients (14%). Mean age was 24.1 +/- 20.3 years and 63% were males. The types of status epilepticus included convulsive status in 98 (90.7%), non-convulsive status in seven (6.5%), and myoclonic status in three (2.8%). The majority of events (60%) were remote symptomatic, 16% were acute symptomatic, 16% were of unexplained aetiology, and 8% were progressive symptomatic. In 85 events (79%), status epilepticus could be aborted with first and second-line drugs. The remaining 23 events (21%) progressed to refractory status epilepticus, among which, 13 (56%) were controlled with continuous intravenous midazolam infusion. Case fatality rate was 11%, neurological sequelae were reported in 22%, and 67% returned to baseline. Acute symptomatic status, older age, altered sensorium at the time of admission, and delayed hospitalisation were predictors of poor outcome. Conclusions. Aetiologywas the most important determinant of outcome of status epilepticus, as in reports from the western world, with remote symptomatic aetiology secondary to gliosis being the most common. Treatment delay was frequent and adversely affected the outcome.
URI: 10.1684/epd.2016.0832
http://dspace.sctimst.ac.in/jspui/handle/123456789/9271
Appears in Collections:Journal Articles

Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.